The Old Tavern was built in 1827 on Broad Street, now University Blvd., in downtown Tuscaloosa. The State of Alabama had recently just voted to move the Capital from Cahaba to Tuscaloosa and construction started on a permanent building for the State Government in 1826. The Old Tavern was saved from demolishing and the building of the Hugh Thomas Bridge in 1966 when a group of citizens formed to move the Tavern from its old location on University Blvd. to Capital Park where now resides. During construction of the Thomas Bridge, numerous artifacts where discovered and saved which are now on display inside the tavern.
The Tavern not only served as a place for early prominent politicians of the State to bed, but also as a gathering spot for their families and others as it was a major stop on the three stagecoach lines, Bear Meat Cabin Road, Cheatham Road, and Byler Road, all three of which lead into Tuscaloosa. The Old Tavern is of French design and stands apart from early Alabama architecture in the State, minus Mobile in its design. The first floor features gathering areas for guest where meetings could take place as well as a common dining area. The second floor has bedrooms for guest and a small area for gatherings.