2828 6th Street
Tuscaloosa, AL 35403
When Alabama became a state in 1819, Tuscaloosa also was incorporated as a town. The following year in 1820, the McGuire-Strickland House was built. The house stands to this day as the oldest wooden framed home in Tuscaloosa. Originally located at the corner of Greensboro Avenue and 15th Street, this home was built for the county’s first probate judge, Moses McGuire. The home later served as the manse or preacher’s home for the First Presbyterian Church from 1844 to 1866.
The house was bought by the Strickland family in 1866 and remained in the family for over a century until 1969 when it was given to the newly formed Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society. Around 1970 the home was moved from its original location to Capitol Park where it is currently used as part of the Capitol School.
Visit the Home
The McGuire-Strickland Home is currently a part of the Capitol School campus. Because of this, it is not available for regular tours. Keep an eye out for upcoming Preservation Society Events as the home is sometimes open for touring during the annual spring Historic Homes Tour or the annual winter Holiday Homes Tour.
In the meantime, we hope to see you at one of the Preservation Society's regular building tours of the Old Tavern, Battle-Friedman House, or the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion.