THE CAMEO GUILD
WHO WE ARE
The Tuscaloosa Cameo Guild is a group of young women, enrolled in the 11th and 12th grades of high schools located in Tuscaloosa County, or whose parents reside in Tuscaloosa County. They learn about history throughout West Alabama and our state, contribute to their community by completing service projects and sponsoring fund-raising events to meet Historic Tuscaloosa needs. On average each class (of which there are 50 young women) has served over 1,500 service hours during their membership. In addition, the members serve as representatives at Historic Tuscaloosa events and experience working together as a group in order to accomplish specific goals. Members of the Cameo Guild are considered members of Historic Tuscaloosa.
The Cameo Guild’s fundraising events consist of an annual Easter Egg Hunt planned by the junior class and a fall Heritage 5K and Fun Run/Walk planned by the senior class. Each year the Cameo Guild, through these fundraising efforts, maintains a scholarship fund and makes a generous gift to Historic Tuscaloosa using the remaining proceeds. These gifts make the Historic Tuscaloosa properties more appealing to the public, which in turn brings in revenue that helps maintain these wonderful structures.
After completing two years of service, these young women are presented at a special event in the spring where scholarships and awards of excellence are given to those whose service has been exemplary.
Educate future preservationists through monthly Cameo Guild meetings focused on history, preservation, and etiquette.
Teach philanthropic and charitable practices through community service hours and class projects.
Support Historic Tuscaloosa's mission of local preservation through fundraising events.
Strive to embody the attributes of a well-rounded individual by practicing kindness, thoughtfulness, and self-confidence.
BECOMING A TUSCALOOSA CAMEO GUILD MEMBER
Tuscaloosa Cameo Guild members are chosen each year through an application and interviewing process. Applications, accompanied with required recommendations, are accepted in the spring followed by interviews during the summer.
Cameo Guild applicants must be entering their junior year of high school and be able to fulfill all of the requirements for membership. For more information, please contact a Tuscaloosa Cameo Guild Director by calling 205-758-2238.
For Selection as a Cameo Guild Member
Applications are accepted April 15th through May 30th of each year
1. The applicant must be a young woman entering the 11th grade in the fall of 2023, enrolled in an accredited school, and whose parent(s)/guardian(s) reside in the Tuscaloosa County area. If home-schooled, the applicant must provide proof of accreditation.
2. The applicant must have a 3.0 or higher GPA. A copy of her official transcript must be submitted —complete through the end of Sophomore year. If GPA is under a 3.0, please provide a written explanation and documentation regarding why, if available.
3. Dues of $300.00 must be paid by October 1st of each year. These dues include a complimentary Century Club membership for the parent(s)/guardian(s) in Historic Tuscaloosa (formerly the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society).
4. The applicant must complete an interview with the Cameo Guild Director(s) and current year’s officers.
5. The applicant must provide three letters of recommendation, one letter from each of the following: academic record (from School Principal or Guidance Counselor), extra-curricular activities (from Club Sponsors or Coaches), and civic involvement (from Pastor, Youth Leader, Civic Club Sponsor, etc.).
6. The applicant must provide at least one approved formal dress that represents one of four designated eras* within 1820-1925. Ensemble must include all accessories, shoes, gloves, etc. She must also provide black/white attire for less formal occasions that includes black dress pants or skirt and white blouse/top.
7. The applicant must be willing to fulfill the following:
A. Attend an information meeting in August 2023. Date/time/location TBA.
B. Attend monthly general membership meetings** during each school year .
C. Complete service hours coordinated by the Tuscaloosa Cameo Guild. Juniors are expected to earn a minimum of ten credits, and Seniors are expected to earn a minimum of eight credits throughout the year.
D. Serve as a hostess for Historic Tuscaloosa events (often in time-period dress).
E. Participate in the class project each year. Participation is mandatory.
F. Commit to two full years in the Cameo Guild.
* The four designated eras are: Late Regency Period, Romantic Period,Victorian Period, Flapper Period
**There are nine meetings, one of which is the information meeting at the beginning of each year. The May meeting is for juniors only. Three absences are allowed but must have written excuses.
Heritage 5K Run
The annual Tuscaloosa Cameo Guild 5K Fun Run/Walk is a fun-for-all-ages family event hosted every fall. Benefits from the run primarily go towards the Cameo Guild Scholarship Fund with additional proceeds going toward a project voted on by the senior class members for the Battle-Friedman House and Gardens.
Easter Egg Hunt
This family-friendly party is hosted each spring at the historic Battle-Friedman House and Gardens. It includes games, a petting zoo, refreshments, a raffle, a visit with the Easter Bunny, and the main attraction, the Easter egg hunt. With more than 2,000 eggs this year there were plenty for each participating child.