1305 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
This magnificent Italianate house was built in 1859-1862 by Senator Robert Jemison Jr. to serve as his townhouse. The architect was John Stewart from Philadelphia, who along with his partner, Samuel Sloan, designed Bryce Hospital. The Jemison Mansion was incomplete when the Civil War erupted, causing many finishing touches to be left undone. Most of the building materials came from Jemison’s extensive plantations, and the majority of construction was performed by skilled slaves under the supervision of Philadelphia craftsmen. The house was ahead of its time technologically: it was the first in Tuscaloosa to have a fully plumbed bathroom and even had its own gas plant to provide gas for illumination. After serving for a period as the city library, it was acquired by the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society and the Heritage Commission of Tuscaloosa. A joint board was set up to oversee the restoration of the house, which is ongoing.
The Society offices relocated to the ground floor of the mansion in February 2014. The main floor has been carefully restored to its original 1860s appearance, and it is available to the public for weddings, parties, and receptions.
The house is open for tours Tuesday through Saturday at 3:30 PM unless reserved for a private event. There is no cost for tours, though donations are welcome. The house is Handicap accessible. For large groups, please call the offices to reserve a tour.
This property is maintained by the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion Foundation.
Admission is free to the public
Click here for Rental Information / Sample Contract