The Battle-Friedman House and Gardens

The Battle-Friedman House was built about 1835 by Alfred Battle, a North Carolina native who had come to Tuscaloosa in 1821. The house and its outbuildings occupied the entire city block. Originally, the house consisted of the two front parlours, central hallway and the rooms above. The columned porch and the rooms at the back … Read More

Murphy-Collins House (Murphy African American Museum)

2601 Bryant Drive Tuscaloosa’s first licensed black mortician, Mr. Will J. Murphy, built this two-story craftsman bungalow in the early 1920s as his private residence. Materials from the old state capitol building a few blocks away, such as bricks and window sills, were salvaged when it burned in 1923 and used in the house’s construction. … Read More

Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion

1305 Greesnsboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa This magnificent Italianate house was built in 1859-1862 by Senator Robert Jemison Jr. to serve as his town house. The architect was John Stewart from Philadelphia, who along with his partner, Samuel Sloan, designed Bryce Hospital. The Jemison Mansion was incomplete when the Civil War erupted, causing many finishing touches to … Read More

The Old Tavern

500 28th Avenue The Old Tavern has been a fixture in downtown Tuscaloosa since the time of the capital era. Innkeeper William Dunton built the structure in 1827, three blocks from its current site as a tavern and hotel on the stagecoach route that passed through Tuscaloosa. One of the few remaining nineteenth-century inns in … Read More