Tuscaloosa County is proud to host one of the state’s premier educational institutions, the University of Alabama. First opened in 1831, the school has played a key role in the growth and development of Tuscaloosa County.
The President’s Mansion, the Roundhouse, and the Observatory
Built in 1840 and designed by architect William Nichols, the President’s Mansion is one of the outstanding examples of Greek Revival architecture in the nation. It is one of four structures of the original university that survived the campus’ burning during the Civil War. Legend has it that the wife of University President Landon C. Garland saved the home from destruction in 1865 by a personal confrontation with Union soldiers who were about to set fire to it.
Previous page: Murphy-Collins House (Murphy African American Museum)
Next page: Gorgas House