The Searcy House
714 Greensboro Avenue
This neo-classical revival house was built in 1904 by George Searcy, a prominent Tuscaloosa banker and businessman. It once featured a massive portico of six large fluted Ionic columns across the front. Restored in 1986 for use as offices for the County Board of Education, it was the only surviving house on that part of the once predominantly residential Greensboro Avenue. The County Board of Education sold the house in July 2013 to Mr. Fred Hahn, Sr. who then donated the property to First Baptist Church. After months of diligent efforts to try to relocate the structure, the Searcy House was razed on February 21, 2014.