The Gorgas House, part of the antebellum university campus, was built in 1828 as a dining hall for students. In the 1840s, it was converted into a faculty residence. After the Civil War, it became the home of Josiah Gorgas, a Confederate general and seventh president of the University, and his wife Amelia Gayle Gorgas, the daughter of Alabama governor John Gayle. The Gorgas House is the only building by noted architect William Nichols to survive on campus. In addition to designing the University of Alabama and the state capitol in Tuscaloosa, Nichols later designed the Old Capitol in Jackson, Mississippi and the University of Mississippi campus in Oxford.
For tours and rental information, contact (205)348-5906.
Previous page: University of Alabama
Next page: Prewitt Slave Cemetery