First African Baptist Church
2621 Stillman Blvd., Tuscaloosa
The congregation was organized in November 1866 and met elsewhere until the present church was built in 1907. The building is a replica of the chapel that burned at Tuskegee. Built entirely by men of the church, the interior is especially beautiful, featuring many stained glass windows. Led by pastor T.Y. Rogers, the First African Baptist Church was the center of important civil rights activities in Tuscaloosa during the early 1960s.